Monday, February 28, 2011

Meal Ticket


The 18th century German philosopher, Immanuel Kant, famously stated the second (or third, depending how you figure it) formulation of the Categorical Imperative, his foundational principle of ethical reasoning as “Act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, always at the same time as an end and never merely as a means to an end.”

And while this didn’t prevent him from being a misogynistic racist, the principle itself seems sound. I think we all realize that it’s uncool to treat people as things; we ought not to use other human beings simply as tools to get what we want, whether it’s money, sex, or if we’re crazed tattoo artists, canvases for our latest Native American-inspired designs.

So, I don’t want to say that all the hawkers who descend upon you as you stroll along the beach here in Goa are doing something wrong, but it can be exhausting to be seen as little more than an ATM by some guy trying to entice you into his restaurant, or get you to buy a parasailing session, or purchase a selection hats, t-shirts, and other souvenir items he’s certain you’ve just got to have to make your vacation complete.

Of course I realize that my incredibly privileged position as an incredibly privileged American confers upon me a duty to give back in any number of ways; I agree, for instance, with Utilitarian philosopher, Peter Singer, that people in wealthy countries are obligated to help those in dire need; consequently, it seems perfectly acceptable that I be asked to contribute however I can.

Still, it’s a lot nicer when I’m seen as a person (albeit one with a wallet) rather than just a walking debit card; that’s why it was kind of a welcome relief this afternoon to be strolling in the opposite direction of the city center and towards the less congested and more idyllic beachfront to the north.

Nobody was using me for anything, which was perfect, since here in paradise, I’m pretty much good for nuthin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment