Sunday, February 27, 2011

Little Loss


Exuberance can cost you; in my case, anyway, that’s when accidents happen.

I guess I got a little overeager today with my body-surfing; I let a big wave pick me up, slam me down (which I enjoy), and rip my glasses off my face (which I don’t like), sending them spinning off into the deep blue sea, never to be seen again, unless, as my daughter scoffed, I return in five years and somehow find them washed up on shore.

Although I realized finding them again would be hopeless, I wandered through the surf for a bit, imagining I might get lucky enough to somehow find a pair of corrective lenses looped to an elastic Crokie floating before me; no chance of that; it was like trying to locate the proverbial needle in the proverbial haystack, only in this case, the haystack was the size of the Arabian Sea.

Alas, I’m mostly mad at myself being so careless; in the long run, it’s no great loss; the departed spectacles were my back-up pair anyway, saved especially for doing sports and the like. Still, it’s a drag to lose them and an annoying reminder that I ought to take better care, especially when I’m so especially excited.

In the end, life goes on, and no doubt some happy fish will soon be sporting a stylish new set of eyes; I’ll kick myself a little while for being such a doofus, and hope against hope that five years from now my barnacle-encrusted specs will turn up at my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment