Friday, January 7, 2011

Both

I want to live a serious life, but I don’t want to take it too seriously.

I would prefer, I think, to experience yoga practice as a series of successes rather than failures, or as accomplishments rather than deficiencies, but at the same time, I realize that what I’m not able to do is at least as educational as what I am able to do.

One strives for perfection, or some reasonable facsimile thereof, fully aware that perfection is unattainable, by definition. Thus, the project becomes less about what you accomplish and more about what you take to be sufficient; but if you believe, as I believe the practice tells us, that the standard of sufficiency is not entirely subjective, then it seems like the perfection question arises all over again.

We never escape the inescapable conundrums. That’s why, I guess, we place ourselves on the mat every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment